When starting lane swimming, there are a few things to be considered in order to keep the lane a safe environment for all to swim in.
They are :-
- Establish the lane order at the beginning of the session, normally fastest to slowest, unless the coach directs otherwise
- Swimmers should leave the wall at least 5 seconds apart
- Overtaking should be done in the middle of the lane, between the two sets of flags
- Swimmers should never pull on the legs of another swimmer to try and get past, this can cause serious injury. If required, a very light tap on the foot of the swimmer should be sufficient to let them know you’re there.
- When you’re standing at the end of lane waiting on others coming in., REMEMBER, The incoming swimmer has the right of way, make sure there is a clear pathway to the wall.