There is much media attention given to body shape and weight issues nowadays, and it is important that your child does not overeat. However it is equally important that your child does not undereat as this is detrimental to the growth and development of a child’s body.
The following are rough guidelines only as the amount your child requires will depend on their size, growth rate, age and activity level.
9-13 yrs. 1,400-1,600/day 1,800-2,200/day
14-18 yrs. 1,600-2,000/day 2,000-2,400/day
9-13 yrs. 1,600-2,000/day 2,000-2,600/day
14-18 yrs. 2,000-2,400/day 2,800-3,200 +/day
Swim training requires a diet that is high in carbohydrates to fuel sessions in the pool and on land to maximise performance and prevent early fatigue. It also important to include protein in the diet as this helps growth, energy and tissue repair.
Hydration – Staying hydrated will help to keep up your concentration levels, your co-ordination and will stop you from tiring out early in your training session. Keep a sports bottle by the side of the pool and drink between sets or in rest periods. Make sure you hydrate regularly throughout the day.
Below is a guide to help you devise your own nutrition plan to suit your own individual needs. ( This list is not exhaustive and you can add to it)
- Wholewheat Toast/Bagel/Rolls/Savoury Muffins with Jam/Honey/Banana/Beans/Scrambled or Poached egg
- Wholewheat Cereal/Porridge with Semi-skimmed milk
- Glass of fruit Juice, Low fat yoghurt + piece of fruit/handful of dried fruit
- Drinking yoghurt/Low fat Milkshake/Smoothie/Cereal Bars/milk/Fruit flavoured yoghurt
- Sandwich/Rolls/Wraps/Pitta Breads etc with low fat protein filling e.g Chicken/Turkey/Ham/Tuna/Hummus etc
- Baked Potato + Beans/Chilli/Cottage Cheese/Tuna/Sweetcorn
- Pasta or Rice with protein e.g Chicken/Tuna/Prawns/Beans and pulses
- Soup + Sandwich
- Toast + Beans/Egg
- Serving of Pasta/Potatoes/rice with a serving of protein and vegetables/salad e.g
- Chicken/Lean Roast Beef/Gammon with Boiled Potatoes and Roasted Vegetables
- Lasagne/Spaghetti Bolognaise/Carbonara + Salad
- Prawn/Chicken Risotto + Vegetables
- Spanish Omelette with Bread + Salad
- Salmon/Tuna/Mackerel with Noodles and Stir Fry Veg
- Low fat yoghurt + banana, Pancake + glass of milk, Large bowl of cereal +low fat milk, Tuna/Ham Sandwich, Scrambled/Poached Egg on Toast, Toast and Jam, Yoghurt Drink, Low fat custard/Rice Pudding, Cereal bar
IF ENERGY AND FLUID LEVELS ARE NOT REPLACED THIS WILL HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT ON YOUR NEXT PERFORMANCE